What is Keyword Research?
Keyword research is the process of finding and analyzing actual search terms that people enter into search engines. Keyword research is the process of finding out which words or phrases people type in a search box. By knowing the exact search terms, you can provide them with relevant content that satisfies their intent.
Keyword research is a critical step of SEO. Knowing what users type in a search engine will help you create relevant content to satisfy their intent. The outcome of the keyword research process is a list of keywords you can actually rank for and are important for your business.
Keyword research is foundation of SEO and SEM.
Why is Keyword Research important for SEO?
Keyword research is important for SEO for many reasons:
- If you don’t know the actual search phrases people are using in Google, you risk in optimizing your website for the wrong keywords.
- Without analyzing the potential of a keyword, you don’t know if it’s a keyword you want to rank for.
- Without doing research you cannot know for which keywords you can actual rank for and you might be targeting keywords you will never be able to rank well.
- Keyword research will help you understand your industry and identify your true competitors.
- Keyword research will give you a list of keywords to monitor their rankings and evaluate your SEO performance.
- With keyword research you get to know the size of your potential audience, a metric useful in setting marketing goals and creating growth plans.
What are types of Keyword?
1. Primary Keywords:
Primary keywords are the main keywords that most closely describe your business. So, for example, a primary keyword might be
- Travel Agency
- Travel Company
- Tour Agency
2. Secondary Keywords:
Secondary keywords are those that add a bit more detail to those initial keywords and are often more related to searcher intent.
- Himalaya Tour Package
- Kashmir Vacation Package for Group
3. LSI Keywords:
LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) keywords are conceptually related terms that search engines use to deeply understand content on a webpage.
Google Auto-complete is one of the fastest and easiest ways to uncover LSI terms to use in your content.
For example, take a word like: “jogging”.
LSI keywords for “jogging” are things like: “shoes”, “cardio” and “park”.
Well, “running” is just a synonym of “jogging”.
- LSI Keywords are NOT synonyms.
- Instead, they’re terms that are closely tied to your target keyword.
For example, take a word like: “apple”.
4. Long Tail Keywords:
Long tail keywords are those three and four keyword phrases which are very, very specific to whatever you are selling. You see, whenever a customer uses a highly specific search phrase, they tend to be looking for exactly what they are actually going to buy.
- The long tail keywords are much easier to rank for.
- People who search by using long tail keywords are far more likely to become buyers!